Tuesday, February 21, 2006

the wheels on the bus go round and round.

I am really really tired. However, I wanted to write something here. I knew that if I didn’t, I wouldn’t again for a long time. So here we go. This blog entry is just one long brain fart of sorts. I’m just writing. So enjoy.

My New routine:

4ish am wake up randomly, turn on hot water boiler so I can have a hot shower. Go back to bed.
6:15 alarm goes off. Cats jump on my head. Time to get out of bed.
7:25 leave the apt, go to catch the bus.
8:00 ulpan starts
12:30 ulpan ends (during the time in Ulpan, I learn some Hebrew, fight with gogie, all is goog)
14:00 start work. Now, in the time that ulpan ends and work starts, I am on a bus somewhere in the city (or waiting for a bus)
20:00 work ends. Go home.
20:30 show up at Ian’s. Use Internet. Sit on couch, not move and pretend were in Canaba.
21:00 Home, Do ulpan work, cook dinner, and unwind time. :)
11:00 ish, too tired to keep my eyes open, fall asleep.


That’s my new schedule Sunday- Thursday.

Work.

I’m enjoying it. Granted I’ve been there only 2 days, I am enjoying. I’m working with great people and learning lots. However, it’s interesting that in order to change the time and date on my computer I had to call the tech guy. Insane. Are people really that challenged that the tech guy is the only one that can do it?? Anyways, I got lost in the building. I’m still not sure where everything is. I’ll figure it out.

Ulpan

It’s still kicking my butt, but I actually love it. I think it’s the people. Truth is, I am actually learning, so that’s a good thing.

Life Post Yeshiva

I’m too tired to even think about it.

Buses

So I’ve been meaning to write this for a while. I now spend a good part of my day on the bus. Now, being on a bus here is an experience. When I first came to Israel a few years ago within hours of landing I was on a bus, so I am used to being on them. I don’t freak out being on a bus, I actually enjoy being on the bus. You never know whom you are going to meet. Countless times I’ve been on the bus and had conversations with total strangers. If they are living in the country they want to know where I am from, why I am here, what I am doing, if I am happy, why would I lave Canada for a country that has economic issues and terror. Sometimes you even get a Shabbat dinner invite out of it. If they are a tourist, same questions, but you end up giving them directions to their next tourist stop (and tell them about a few others!) However on the bus there is always the bus driver that just wants his shift to end. He drives like a mad man, you get knocked over, you fall on people (or onto the floor.) He might open the door for you at your stop AND he may even slow down. However, there are always good experiences (no, sitting beside someone for 30 min that has gas is not a good experience…trust me….) I’m starting to have my regular drivers. One driver is really cool. He actually lets people (more so, those that need extra time to sit down) sit down before he drives a way and is patient. On my bus to ulpan there are my “repeat-faces”- people I ride the bus with every day that I don’t know, but know only because we ride the bus together every day. At one of stop, a few passengers get on that have both physical and mental disabilities. This driver is so patient. He actually told someone to get out of the front seat so these women wouldn’t have to move to the middle. But why am I writing this? So the other day (Sunday) they get on and he calls them over, he brought them cookies. Then he was just offering cookies to everyone. Pretty cool. Just a friendly driver. These little random acts of kindness (which I know doing the SA/TO thing in USY we/I was always preaching’) really do make a difference. It was nice. Anyways. In the chaos of this country where things tend to get a little insane, there are always people doing little nice things for one another. Maybe they will have the butterfly affect somewhere someday, it’s a hope…


Anyways, I’m breaking my schedual. I need to go home. Being a working girl is hard. No time to see friends, no time to do anything. I’ve had to cancel something’s over the past few days due to work, so it’s hard balancing (sorry Aron/Yoni/Whatever your name is)


Have a great night, enjoy the bus ride. I do.


Nikki
Today’s dwarf: Sleepy. Who knows which dwarf will be tomorrow?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home