Sunday, August 26, 2007

Update...

This entry is being written at a whole different altitude than normal. I don’t know exactly how many feet I am in the air, but I know it’s big, or else this rather large KLM flight would just be a bus on the road.

So I am going to attempt to summarize that past few weeks the best I can. I realize that the point of this blog was for me to update people on my life in Israel, yet, I just didn’t. OK, so I suck. I admit it. However, I have had some great adventures.

It was really hard to wrap my brain around the fact that I was going back to Toronto – even though I am currently in the air, it still has not hit me. I am sure, in a few days I will have a but of culture shock (ok fine, the moment that I get off the plane… details….) However, as a new friend of mine so nicely put it I “have a great job and the worth that I do is worth it.” He’s right, I love my job (ok, minis the days that I am at the office until the wee hours of the morning…) Anyways, this is the next part of my journey and I know that it is going to lead me somewhere amazing – my current plan is to be in Toronto until mid-April with a birthright trip somewhere in December to break it up. Really for me the big thing is to be back for Pessach (C’mon people, KOSHER FOR PASSOVER BURGER KING… I kid you not, I do it once a year and know that eat year that passes my arteries get more and more clogged with garbage. That’s the current game plan as of now, I am sure that during that time I will get out to NYC, Florida and maybe somewhere super extra special. Not sure where that super extra… (Ok, I totally lost my track of thought here; the stewardess just came by with drinks last call if you will. So as I am on KLM I ordered a Heineken.) Ok, back to where I was Oh yes, super extra special. So yes, I am sure that I will try to go on a few adventures. I would really like to continue my MLB stadium tour, so we will see what I can do…

I should probably mention that I am currently in transit, as I have been for most of the day. I left Amsterdam a few hours ago. I was there for a 4-hour layover. I got on the train at the airport and decided to just wonder around town and buy stupid things – like wooden shoes, tulips and snow globes (oh and socks… they were cute and I “needed” then….) had breakfast this morning with some random Italians from some small town in the middle of no place. Really funny conversation as only one of them spoke English, one guy that kept ranting and raving in Italian and the other guy that didn’t talk. It was cool. I’ve now learned that when you travel alone; just make friends – why not. Cool conversation. I bid them a farewell, finished my cappuccino (which tasted pretty gross actually…(and then decided to walk back to the train station. I then got to the airport. It was a mess. So there were two flights to Toronto, only one of them was listed on the board. The flight that I was on was not listed for some strange reason.

So back to Israel.

As I wrote last time I had a few fun things coming up… my friend Rivka was taking me shootin; I realize that that sounds totally ridiculous, but I sooo wanted to do it. So I did. Now, I had a little class that explained to me how the gun works, and then it was off to the range. Riv (as she had already done the class) joined me in the range; we went last out of all the pairs. I got used to the sound fairly quickly, and was surprised that there really was a flash after each shot. Now, here I am all ready to shoot. So I do. The first shot really had a kick, once I got used to that, there was no problem. I actually did really well. Out of the first 50 rounds, 48 hit the paper and 43 hit the target circles. I got to a point where I would release the magazine in the air after clearing it. The instructor was surprised that it was my first time. In the end, I shot about 100 rounds…. It was a great time and I am looking forward to doing it again and getting my license. I met someone that also shoots (and has a lovely 9mm “Mossad”) so hopefully when I am back him and I will get to go shooting. Now, many people say “But Nikki, why on earth do you want to know how to shoot a gun?!?” now, here is my response. I live in a country where guns are everywhere, I want to know how to handle one and not be afraid – and I’m not afraid.

What else? Hmmm…

The Beach

I have a tan, for the first time ever in my pasty life I actually have a tan. Spent some time on the beach with Gila and it was good times had by all. We went to this place on shenkin for a class after, it was too funny for words and if I share what it was Gila would kill me, so I wont….


My Birthday

I do have to say it was a kickin party. 8.5 kilos of wings, 3 kilos of steak, 3 kilos of chicken. It was a good time had by all. Oh, 2 mini kegs too. Thanks to Rivka for hosting. It was a great party and it was great being with my friends.

Over the past few weeks before I left I made some great new friends – I’m a bit sad that I only met them towards the end of the trip, however, I am looking forward to spending more time with them in December.


Upcoming:

I start work right away. I land on Tuesday and I am in the office on Wednesday. I hope that this time around things will be easier. I know that there is a lot of culture shock that awaits, however, I know that I will be back in Israel soon. I cannot wait until I move back to Israel full-time and get to resume my life. It’s hard starting something then having to press pause until I return. The end of my time there was amazing and I hope that the same kind of fun awaits me when I get back.

Anyways, that’s an update. Be in touch, I get home sick and I need to hear from you.

Nikki

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home