Monday, August 27, 2007

Back to Toronto

Last year, my friend Minh took me to a festival that I had only read about in magazines, or snickered at while someone talked about attending one -that would be the ComiCon. Last year I finally had my chance to go and experience what it was all about. I went, I laughed, I snickered (and Minh yelled at me most of the time) and I met a whole batch of geek icons. This year, however, was going to be a bit different.

Now being a seasoned veteran at the ComiCon, I went down with my friend Mike. Now, some how Mike had managed to get us in early.... Now, getting in their early entailed a few things such as:

1) pretending that we were supposed to be there early
2) make sure that we evaded anyone that was going ask us why we were in so early.

As soon as we got in, Mike wanted to head over to his friends that have a comic book booth. When we got there, they were not even close to set up. Being the people that we are, we helped them set up. Unpacked boxes, set up, and wiped layers of dust off some of the packages. Once we were done that, we decided that we were going to run to every booth possible and get as much free stuff as we could. This is the swag I took home:
-5 T-shirts (mostly from Horror movies that will go straight to video)
-deck of playing cards that feature gore (not Al, but actually blood and guts)
-Mardi Gras beads
-Wind up toys
-Ping pong balls
-shot glass
-and many other useless gadgets that I will decorate my office with.

Now, the piece du resistance.... ADAM WEST!

Adam West was not supposed to sign on Friday, however, I heard an announcement and ran because I was going to meet him. Now, my friend Ian was there with his sister and friend, they didn't get in as early as we did.... details. However, when I got close to Adam West, Ian appeared. Ian was the official photographer.

I finally get up to the front of the line, pay my bazillion dollars, choose the photo that I wanted him to sign (Mayor West, clearly) And this is what happened:

Adam: "Well arn't you the curly haired one."
Me: "Nice to meet you."
Adam "You know, my wife has the same hair as you so. All curly like that."
Me: "Um... thanks."
Adam "So, whats your name:
Me: Nicole
Adam "What was that"
Me: Nicole, but could you write something like "How do you know my name?" or "Stop stealing my water."
Adam "Hahahaha."
Me: Or maybe just your favorite line from the show
Adam: hahahaha.
Me: I've been singing the Adam West song all day
Adam: Sing a bit for me
Me: Adam West...Adam west...adam west....
Adam: HAHAHAHAHA. You are too funny. We should tell Casey Kasum. He should play that. What if I sign it Mayor West?
Me: What about Mayor Adam West?
Adam: Deal.
(At this point Ian takes another picture of Adam and me together)

Me: Great meeting you
Adam: You too Nicole.

I then continued my day all giddy that I had met Adam West. He really is like his cartoon on the TV show. It was a bit funny.
There is such a culture to ComiCon. There its cool to search for comic books, talk about Star Wars, play video games - a real opposite on the world. There were 1000's of fellow dorks, I was looked down at because I wasn't dressed up (and probably because I couldn't stop laughing) I even reconized people there from last year (and we were able to catch up on different dorky geeky things....) So really, I have just made this wall post to admit that I am a dork and a geek, but I'm ok with that. Adam West likes my hair and that's what matters....

So, another thing that happend at comicon that I could not write on facebook So I happend to bump into a few students there. One of them, totally not surprised to see him. We kept calling eachother when we found free stuff to alert one another where to find it. The other, dressed in full anime-costume...kid you not. Now, this other one, we will call him Anime, went on a rant and rave about how we (my job) should have a speed-dating program. Inside, i was cracking up. On the outside, I told him I would look into it...


Anyways, comicon was fun. I missed being there with Minh, but I had a great time with Mike, Pete, Ian, Naomi.
I still miss Israel and my friends there, but this made things a bit better.... pictures to come....

Oh, and at the end I got a picture with a Pirate.

3 Comments:

At 6:30 PM, Blogger Bec said...

LOL but u are my favourite geek!
adam west... adam west....

 
At 6:21 PM, Blogger The Parkers said...

Yay! Mayor West is one of the best characters on the show! I am impressed.

 
At 10:03 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

sounds like a lovley time...curly nicole...you now have an in to the vice mayorship of quahog.

speed dating is a great idea...along with the masamobile...keep hatching them...they will find a dinner plate somewhere. :_)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home