Sunday, July 30, 2006

a post! yay!

Shavoa tov

Hello hello everyone out there in the land of blog. It’s been an interesting week; missiles landing in the north, seeing friends from the north and the continuing saga of my job. Ah, such excitement in such little time!

The North

Well, unless you live in a cave without any interaction from the outside world (which if you did, you wouldn’t be reading this entry) you would know about the current “situation” in the north. Our good friends Hezbollah in the north have been firing rockets at us. Over 1500 rockets have fallen in the past two weeks. People have been murdered and displaced. Some people have been spending more time in bomb shelters than in their jobs and homes. Israel has gone into Lebanon to take care of our northerly neighbors. Friends have been called up to fight; others are waiting for their phone calls (and surprisingly; many WANT to be called up.) I’ve been posting comments from my friend Shira that lives in Haifa. She’s stayed very positive and been making jokes about all of this- you have too. What I’ve learned from living here over the past 3 years is that we have to laugh about those that hate us. If we didn’t, every day we would be depressed and most likely would not have survived as a country since 1948. We make jokes – albeit off beat tasteless jokes about our situation. When talking with Shira we discussed a new game in the north – “Ketusha Dodge ball.” Just like the game we played in phys ed class, if you get hit, you are out (however permanently) my father didn’t laugh when I told him about this game – but we have to joke. I always joke that the buses that I take are pretty safe as the amount of people on the bus wouldn’t be worth the “price of nails.” Ok, so it’s sick, but we laugh, we joke. It’s the world of living here. We continue about our days with all the threats around us and just try to enjoy a “normal life.” One of the blogs that I read is written by a Palestinian woman – very different from my own views, however, interesting to read what is going on in Azza and the Palestinian world as a whole. It was interesting to read that the Lebanese are upset that they have only 2 hours to pack up their homes and leave when they know that their apt complex is next to be destroyed. It’s funny; Shira gets a siren that gives her a minute to run to safety. Don’t hear here complaining. It’s also interesting to watch CNN and other news agencies that have been covering the latest turmoil here in the mid-east. They constantly show images of the “poor displaced Lebanese people” I was wondering what happened to their footage of the poor Israeli people that have been displaced and murdered. Wait, I forgot, we’re the oppressors – I keep forgetting. Oh well. Enough about that.

I’ve been getting a lot of emails from people- I am fine. Things are better than CNN is making it. We’ll get through this – we always do.


My job.

ARGGHHHHHHHHHH. That’s all I have to say.

Shabbat

Shabbat was nice. Was with friends, so that was nice. Relaxing Shabbat. Got some good sleeping done too- now I am awake, so it’s a bit of a problem. Oh well. I’m sure I will fall asleep soon.

TV

I’ve started watching LAX. It’s pretty good actually (and it’s in English!)

All right, that’s it.

I’m going to see if my Internet actually works (it’s been slightly temperamental as of now…)

Shavoa tov

Nikki

Rachel: dinner was a quesidea. YAY 9 days!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home