Wednesday, October 19, 2005

The Great Outdoors

Well this must be a first. There is less than 6 months between posts!

Things have been going well here in Jerusalem. The holiday season really is in full swing. Rosh Hashana was nice - actually baked an apple pie! Tried to make fortune cookies - now that was a sight. My friend Adira and I ended up with a pile of moosh (that tasted like playdough) so we tried to pass it off as a "Philipino Lucky Pocket" (which no such things exists) packed it with fortunes...and well, we laughed way to hard (and drank to much) and the truth came out!

Yom Kippur is also really neat here, the whole city shuts down. We're talking turns the traffic lights off. While leaving shul, I bumped into my friend Safi from Toronto. We decided to just sit in the middle of a major intersection (as there were no cars.. well, there were emergency ones just keeping an eye on things, but nothing too big...) watching the world go by. thousands of people were just wandering around jerusalem. So, as Safi and I are sitting there this woman comes up to us (in Hebrew) and asks us why we were sitting in the middle of the road. Now me, in my usual Nikki way, responded "Why not?" She then told us to move as we were blocking traffic. Now, Safi and I looked around and noticed that there was not a car in sight and just laughed - oh Israel!

Now it's Sukkot. As I dont have a Sukkah myself, I decided to adopt my friend Ian's sukkah as my own (I even got to decorate) The past two nights I have even slept out there. However, this morning we were all woken up to rain... Its been great!

I'm off on break right now from the YEshiva so for the next little bit I will be just taking in everything. Tomorrow (Thursday) I am going to go to Hevron for a festival out there and I am sure I am going to hit Tel Aviv as well (BEACH!) This Shabbat Im making the meals at Ian's sukkah - so if you need a place, let me know!

Alright, time to go to the post office!

Modim L'simcha

Nikki

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home