Saturday, December 11, 2004

The lights that burn..

OK fine. I am really bad at posting. Almost as bad as I have been at returning e-mails, but finally, I have a chance to sit down and write...

It's now the 5th night of Chanukah here and in the window of my room my chanukah lights burn. It's an amazing thing to walk around the streets here and Israel and see the chanukiot (candelabra used for chanukuah) burning. It's similar to how in North America families would pile into cars and go look at the Christmas lights, although here, we are looking to remind us of the nes, the miracle that happened here. . .

Living in Israel has been going well, things in general are well. I have another week of yeshiva before I head on a 2 week break. For one of the weeks there is an educational conference that is here, so I am going to check that out, the first week, who knows. We'll see. I doubt there will be much travel outside of Jerusalem, but, it will be nice to explore the city that I live in. As I have a monthly bus pass, I can just jump on a bus without paying, so that's a nice thing...

Here in the apartment there has been a new addition, his name is Moe. His full name is Moed Kitten (can you guess what I am learning in gemara this year?) he's a 4 legged wonder cat that is here to rid the apartment of unwanted crawling and/or scurrying guests, and so far, he's doing a great job...

Hmm... What else? When are you coming to Israel to visit? Even if you are just reading this semi-drab blog out of boredom and I don't know who you are - come! Israel is a great place to spend your reading week, vacation time, anything... The weather has been great too...

Politics. Ugh. Such a disaster. Governments changing their policies, the right (likud) is no more different then that of the left (labour) it's an interesting thing. I don't feel that people here really are looking out for the needs of their own - meaning, Jews no longer look out for other Jews in this country. Before we begin to look at the needs of others we need to see why our fellow JEWISH neighbor is hurting, protesting, staying firm on their ideologies, crying and needing. Until we are able to do that, we will not be able to live in a harmonious state... But I forgot, we don't need to take care of Jewish interests, those arn't important...

That's all for now, I'm off to a family chanukah party :)

Shavoa tov - have a good week.

Nikki

-----
Interesting thought:

"How are we supposed to settle the land if we keep giving it all away?"
-Rav Elon


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home