Sunday, April 20, 2008

Lettuce be free

I went to the Seder on Penis Street. Yes, you did just read correctly- Penis Street. Ok, I will let you recompose yourself before typing any further.


Ready?


OK. So my friends the Hymies knew that I had no Seder plans so they brought me along to their friends place. Knowing that time with the Hymies is always fun, I accepted, purchased a few bottles of wine and dug out a hagaddah off of my shelf. The Seder itself was pretty interesting; it was the UN of Seders. 6 Countries were represented. (Ok, closed to the size of a Security Council, details) Canada, USA, Australia, Yemen, Russia and Israel all sat around the table. Now, just like the UN there was a table, a task to be done and many different customs and assumptions of how it SHOULD be done. There were also language barriers (in theory, Hebrew should have been the universal language HOWEVER not everyone was fluent in it.) We started off singing the order of the Seder – 3 times, as instructed by our Yemenite hostess. Now, I would also like to say that all of these Seder delegates were also tone deaf and nobody knew the Yemenite-whiney-off-beat-tune that us pasty white people just couldn’t get. But we tried. We sang. We accomplished it, one thing off the list for the Seder,

In past Seder experiences-, which have occurred in 4 countries- we’d all go around the table-reading paragraph after paragraph. But tonight was different than all other nights. We would read it allowed, together, in Hebrew. One thing I really despise is reading Hebrew out loud. It takes me longer to think about what I am reading as I have to try to translate it in my brain, figure out how to say it, remember how to say it properly and not be a sound off or else I could say something totally wrong. But, I did. The leader of the UN Seder – one of the Yemenite Hostesses from Penis Street was going to make sure we all did it. And Read we did. We read and we read and we read. Oh, of course we drank. Now, all in all, there were only 2 people that drank the whole 4 cups. Naturally I was one of them and Hymie was the other. Throughout the Seder everyone would argue about different things – Is this really the bitter herb? IT’S LETTUCE! Or Lemon Juice instead of Salt Water – why I never…

Now, normally here would be the point where I would introduce the anecdotal funny of the evening. However, that never happened. It was just a nice, loud, off beat and out of tune Seder. Every 30 min the hostesses (Yemenite sisters) would have typical Yemenite fight about something and we would just continue like nothing happened. The company was fun – very random people who all came together for the Pessach seder – very appropriately everyone around the room had come from somewhere else – for one reason or another – everyone had their own exodus from something and somewhere.

It was a nice night. The food was good (and we were stuffed) the company was good. I think I got home around 2. The Hymies chilled out for a bit until later at my place. I just remember trying to calculate the number of glasses of wine that were consumed. I still don’t know. When I woke up this morning, I was still feeling said effects of the Seder.


I made myself lunch pretty late in the day and just relaxed.

Not sure what is on the agenda for the week. Talks of travel around the country, but we will see.

After pessach the real job hunt begins. I think I am getting bored of unemployed life.


Hope your doing well and getting a little Seder in your own life.

1 Comments:

At 11:36 PM, Blogger Chaya said...

Very cute!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home